Truck Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas
Trucking Industry, Diligent Drivers and Accidents
The trucking industry is a vital to our economy. Goods travel daily across our roadways, thanks in great part to the trucking industry and its diligent drivers and operators. However, what happens when diligence becomes carelessness? Unfortunately, it leads to drivers who are working overtime, who are fatigued, and who are often speeding to make unreasonable schedules. The results? Accidents, injuries and even, in some cases, deaths.
If you have been involved in a trucking accident, contact the skilled Las Vegas truck accident attorneys at The Vegas Lawyers to understand your rights to compensation under the law. Whether your truck accident occurred in Las Vegas, Henderson, Sloan, Green Valley, Summerlin, North Las Vegas, Boulder City, Laughlin, Mesquite, Goodsprings, Stateline, Jean, Pahrump, the I-15, the I-215 or the 95, we can help you understand your legal rights and get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (702) 707-7000.
The Risks of the Trucking Industry
The trucking industry has seen its fair share of problems throughout history. One of the most common reasons for trucking accidents today is operators feeling the need to work against unreasonable schedules in order to get a load to a given destination.
Although regulations put strict guidelines into place and limit the amount of time a driver can actively stay behind the wheel in pursuit of a delivery, the reality is that truckers are pressured to meet these timelines, often to the point where they will drive dangerously and in grave need of rest. In fact, the regulating organization, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, has found that 13 percent of drivers who were involved in an accident were fatigued. Regulations have been put into effect governing “hours of service” but, unfortunately, these regulations are often ignored or driving records are fudged in an effort to appear compliant.
Driver fatigue puts everyone else on the road in danger. When it comes to truck vs. car, 67 percent of fatalities in these instances will be to the occupants of the car, not the truck. If you’ve been in an accident involving a commercial vehicle or truck, you owe it to yourself to speak with a Las Vegas truck injury attorney for advice and guidance.
The Differences Between Trucking Accidents and Car Accidents
When truck accident lawyers in Las Vegas refer to “trucks,” what we mean are those vehicles that are used commercially that are substantially larger than passenger trucks. These go by many different names and can include:
- Flatbed trucks
- Dump trucks
- Large trucks owned by delivery enterprises such as Federal Express or UPS
- Garbage trucks
- Tow trucks
Because of the size and weight of these vehicles, when they collide with another vehicle, they can cause serious injuries and damage. Truck accidents are more likely to cause the following:
- More serious injuries due to the impact of a large, heavy vehicle
- Greater costs to the injured in the way of medical costs and damages
- Greater damage to property and other cars involved
- Increased chances of fatality
In most cases, a trucking accident claim will be reviewed by the associated insurance company. But because of the complexity of trucking accidents and who may actually be responsible, insurance companies may point fingers of blame not only at each other but also at the victim. This is when you need a skilled truck injury lawyer in Las Vegas defending your rights.
Who Is Responsible in a Truck Accident in Las Vegas?
This may seem like a simple question, but a trucking accident is seldom simple. Liability is always the determining factor, but with a trucking accident, you may have multiple parties who may be potentially liable for an accident.
When it comes to a truck accident, the driver is often not the owner. And the ownership, itself, is not always clear. A truck may be owned by an individual, a company, or a group of companies. It then may be leased to another company. Then it becomes a matter of what and who was at fault for the accident. The important questions that need to be asked include:
- Was the driver negligent?
- Who is the driver’s employer?
- Who is the truck owner?
- Is there a company that leased the truck?
- Who is the manufacturer of the truck?
- What parties were hired to maintain the truck?
- Who is the cargo broker who was responsible for screening and ensuring the safety of the truck?
An injured party has enough to worry about after a truck accident. Having the representation of a Las Vegas truck accident attorney allows the victim to heal while the skilled lawyers take care of what they do best.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Las Vegas
While companies and drivers are federally mandated to maintain and ensure the safety of the vehicle they control, drivers are also regulated to ensure that they are not exceeding driving hours limitations and driving dangerously on the road. Unfortunately, all the regulations have been ill-equipped to stop the dangerous trucking accidents our Las Vegas truck injury attorneys see each day. Most of the serious accidents that happen on our roads today have been caused by large commercial vehicles, the most common being caused by the following factors:
- Driver fatigue – the most common cause of trucking accidents today is driver fatigue. Drivers continually find themselves under pressure to get their loads to destinations under shorter timelines. This lack of rest and sleep results in an inability to concentrate, shortened reaction times, and often falling asleep at the wheel.
- Driver impairment – alcohol and drug use has been a factor in many truck accidents where we’ve been involved in the representation of the victim. A drunk or drug impaired driver of any vehicle poses a grave hazard when behind the wheel. An impaired driver behind the wheel of an 80,000-pound vehicle is often downright deadly.
- Speeding and overtaking – tight timelines only become worse when a driver is confronted with traffic jams and weather slowdowns. In these cases, drivers try to make up for lost time by going over the speed limits, often leading to disastrous consequences.
- Insufficient training – drivers who haven’t completed the required amount of training still end up behind the wheel of a large rig in violation of the law. A poorly trained driver with insufficient experience behind the wheel of a huge vehicle is never a good thing.
- Improper truck maintenance – many truck owners are operating on tight budgets which can cause them to not take the time and money necessary to make sure the rig is properly maintained.
- Improper loading – a truck that has not been properly loaded can be thrown off-balance at the worst possible time.
- Driver distraction – drivers get bored with so many hours behind the wheel. This can cause them to take risks like texting, changing radio channels, making phone calls, or other distracting behaviors that take their eyes and minds off the road.
What Kind of Compensation Can You Recover After A Truck Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident, you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries and any resulting damages. These can include all medical costs, surgeries, doctor visits, medications, as well as medical supplies and transportation. You may also be entitled to lost wages due to any inability to work as well as lost earning capacity if your injuries have affected your ability to go back to your old job. There are also non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment, and others.
Having the representation of a skilled truck accident lawyer in Las Vegas ensures that you will get the compensation you deserve after sustaining injuries from a serious truck accident.
Don’t Gamble With Your Las Vegas Truck Accident Lawyer
Proving liability and substantiating damages can be very complex legal matters. In order to get the proper compensation, you need the experience and assistance of an highly skilled truck injury attorney in Las Vegas to ensure that your rights are being represented while you focus on healing and getting better.
The Las Vegas personal injury lawyers at The Vegas Lawyers can help. Contact us for a free consultation by calling (702) 707-7000 or by reaching out to us through this website. Trucking accidents are often very complex. Given all that’s at stake, this is no time to gamble with your lawyer.
Call The Vegas Lawyers for top-notch representation. With former federal prosecutors and judges on staff, we have the knowledge, experience and skills to win.